Episode 4: Leif Singer on changing from academia to industry, humility and work culture at Automattic, open-source and working remotely
In this episode, I talk to Leif Singer, an engineer at the fully remote company Automattic. Automattic is the company behind WordPress, a famous and powerful content management system with an estimated 75 Million user base.
We talk about:
- why he switched from academia to industry,
- how he got hired without knowing the company’s tech stack,
- why he worked for several months at Automattic before being hired,
- how the Automattic creed, influences, and guides company values and mindset,
- Automattic’s software engineering practices,
- and how they fight technical debt during quarterly scheduled clean-up weeks.