Charlie Gerard is a career changer, that recently started working at Atlassian after working at ThoughWorks as a software consultant. In this episode, she talks with me about her hiring experience, the software engineering practices at this large tech company, and brain-controlled interfaces.
In this episode, I talk to Charity Majors, founder, and CTO of honeycomb. Honeycomb is a tool for introspecting and interrogating your production systems. It represents the new generation of monitoring systems that can handle highly distributed and complex systems. Charity shares with me what observability means and how we can make systems more reliable and maintainable.
We talk about:
- the new generation of DevOps,
- how and why we should assess systems in production,
- the flaws of staging areas,
- what it takes to make on-call a good experience,
- how to assess engineering excellence,
- and how and why she founded honeycomb.