In this episode, I talk to Derrick Stolee, a principal software engineer at Microsoft who makes sure the Git version control system is lightning fast.
We talk about:
- his career switch from being a professor to become a software engineer at Microsoft,
- what it means to contribute to open-source during your worktime for Microsoft,
- how he improves the speed and performance of such a widely-used and mature software system as Git,
- how to do code reviews via mailing lists,
- and what it takes to become an open-source maintainer.